Do Strawberries Contain the Meaning of Life?


 




Image by Pezibear from Pixabay 


I wanted to forget how to feel,

unreeling old celluloid 64 mm

on sheets in memory

 

a perfect day by a stream

this two-year-old with hair so blond

it disappeared in the sun

 

bounced on his lap

cigarette hanging from his lips

Brylcreem shine on curls I would inherit

 

wind pulled ash from his face

into tinkling water

 

patched lives can look like anything

even a strawberry offered on a summer day



copyright/all rights reserved Audrey M. Howitt 2021


Posted to Poets and Storytellers

Comments

  1. there is both pain and joy weaved into this poem, and it moves all the way through, the memory is bittersweet, like a strawberry. very well written... very

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, the way you say just enough to convey volumes in the unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm seeing an old photograph described. There is a strawberry somewhere in the shot. An oracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each stanza looks and feels like an old Polaroid shot taken on a warm summer's day.
    Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God you are good! It could have easily been me sitting on my dad's lap. Simply beautiful....sweet melancholy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sense an undertone of something ominous ... and hope I am way off base. Beautifully composed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel as if I peeked into your treasured family photo album and came across one of your favorite memories captured on film. Beautifully penned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much longing in this one. I can practically see the speaker, staring at a fresh strawberry... While reliving long ago memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nostalgia always carries at least a teensy (sometimes a giant) ache, and this poem does a wonderful job at letting people discover and feel it too, in all its bittersweet glory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is filled with nostalgia and angst. Hope you are well Audrey. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and thoughts--thank you for stopping by! I don't always reply here, but always try to reciprocate--so hang in there, I will be over to your blog in a jiffy!

Popular Posts