Salt on My Tongue



The Morgue File




i fold salt into the remainder of my day


and watch parsley


soak up oil's emotions


a round of bread nearby.


i taste tomorrow


floating bittersweet on my tongue


as the day settles,


pours out its stories


for those who pause


to listen.


I read a piece today about aging. I read once that the young are rarely the ones who enter therapy as they haven't lived long enough to have experienced regret. The taste of regret and loss as we age fascinates me. And I am reminded again of how societies can hold onto their elders and treasure them--when we all pause to listen. I hope you enjoy this small write.


copyright/all rights reserved Audrey Howitt 2015

Comments

  1. A meal that many prepare but few choose to take the time to eat--the simplicity of the images works super-well visually, as well as verbally. I think you finally become an adult when you experience (and live with) your regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pours out its stories
    for those who pause
    to listen.

    Lamenting all of their woes is a common revelation of regret. The young will spill all but the elders are guarded. Maturity determines the degree perhaps! Nice lines Audrey!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying about regret...oddly, the older I get, the less regret I have. Mainly because as I grow older I realize just how lucky I am and what a wonder my life truly is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-captured. Vivid writing, Audrey.
    We all have regrets (I find it hard to believe people who say they have no regrets). We must face them, I think, but not dwell on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed regret tends to leave a bitter-sweet taste in our mouth; as we reflect upon the past events of our life. Love the intensity of this poem. Beautifully executed.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regret...just another experience, the lesson...no regret, when you feel the salt of life on your tongue....enjoyed your poem and thoughts of aging....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I especially love the idea of pausing to listen to the stories of our elders. Our "ancients" have seen a lot of life: folly and foibles, regret and loss. Most of them have made their peace with the inevitable. They have a lot of "perspective" to share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and thoughts--thank you for stopping by! I don't always reply here, but always try to reciprocate--so hang in there, I will be over to your blog in a jiffy!

Popular Posts